Friday 11 January 2013

British Cadet Championships 2013



After a hard couple of months training I was ready for the British Championships.  This year was going to be the toughest yet and I was going for my fourth title in a row. I had moved up to the -55kg weight group where Peter Miles was also going for 4 in a row so was really expecting a very tough day.

Scott Thomson (Danderhall) Second Round
As a top seed I received a bye first round and was then up against a fighter I had never faced before. This was the start I wanted with me winning by ippon in 25 seconds.  As usual I found top form for the big competition.

Freddy Hendy (Polkyth) Third Round
Freddy is a strong fighter and had won the Pre-Cadet Nationals in October.  The last time we fought I had struggled to beat him.  Today was different, and with a wazari and an ippon within 36 seconds, I was in the semi-final.

Billy Goldsmith (JSC) Semi-Final
Billy is a top fighter who I had only fought in training. I had to control the fight early and was pleased to score a wazari before ending the contest with a strangle. I was now in my sixth final in a row at the Nationals.

Peter Miles (Bradley Stoke) Final
I knew this was going to be a hard fight and had planned my tactics beforehand.  Sadly so had Pete!!! Many say it was a good fight but in reality Pete was all over me.  Silver medal was what I deserved but certainly a great result for me.

I was in my sixth National final in a row and I have now won 3 Gold and 3 Silver....hard work does pay off.





Link to Results

No comments:

Post a Comment