Saturday 8 March 2014

Junior English Open

This was the first time I had entered the English Open which was held at the impressive Ice Sheffield Venue. I love this arena and I won all my three British Championships here. Fighting at -66kg I was obviously one of the youngest in the group which was packed with top talent. Leo and Edgar were the other Cadets fighting in the event as was British Champion Tom Johnson and most of the other top Junior fighters. Aiden was still recovering from his knee injury but hopefully will be back soon. With Aiden missing I was seeded number two for the event.

Sina Dehdari (Hillingdon) First Fight
Started well and controlled the fight winning with a throw and a hold.

Edgar Polovinkins (Ernest Bevin) Second Fight
Edgar is a really good fighter. Took a while to get control of the grips but when I did the fight turned my way and I won with an Ippon.

Kyle Clark Harweood (Moberly) Semi-Final
Kyle is a top fighter but has been away from the circuit for a while. It was a close contest which I was leading by penalties before Kyle went old school and grabbed my leg and was disqualified.

Thomas Johnson (Yoshin Ryu) Final
Reaching the final was a real bonus and I was up against Tom who had beaten me to take Gold at the Junior Nationals a few months ago. I have settled well into both my weight group and the Junior section and feel I can match most players now. My gripping was bang on today and I had no issues with the new rules. I felt good through the final winning with a Yuko. Tom had a great fight in the Semi-Final defeating Leo who had earlier narrowly beaten George Goldsmith.

This was a great preparation for next weekends Junior European Cup in Portugal.






No comments:

Post a Comment